Wednesday, September 28, 2011

28 weeks...big babies, big mommy, and big name announcement

I had my 28 week appointment today, and the boys all look great. Growth and fluids are perfect, which are the two big things they look for at this point. And I don't yet have any of the things that plague high order multiple moms (high blood pressure, protein in urine, shortening cervix, etc...), so we are great. Average gestation for triplets is about 32 weeks. We're hoping to make 34 or 35. So these guys should make their debut sometime between 4 and 7 weeks from now. All fingers are crossed for closer to 7.

BIG BOYS
The boys weights are...

Baby A is 2lbs, 11oz (50th% on singleton chart - great on triplet chart)
Baby B is 2lbs, 7oz (30th% on singleton chart - very good on triplet chart)
and Baby C is weighing in at 3lbs, 1oz (84th% on singleton chart - HUGE on triplet chart)

With the standard deviation, they're all roughly the same size, which is amazing. The doc loves to see "concordant growth," and we're there. Baby C always measures a few ounces bigger...maybe because he has more room or maybe because he's just a little bigger. It's impossible to know. All that matters is that they're growing, and they're absolutely amazing sizes for triplets.

POSITION

Babies A and C are head down, and Baby B is breach. I have felt a hard lump in my ribs for a week or two now, and the mystery is solved. It's my sweet Baby B's head wedged in there. And even though they're very snug in there, the doc says as long as there's fluid, they can still flip. So the final positions are anybody's guess and matter less than they do with a singleton pregnancy anyway, because we know they'll be born via c-section.

BIG BABIES = BIG MOMMY

And while the boys are growing, it's no surprise that I am too. I am measuring larger than full term now, and I'm really feeling it. Sleep is uncomfortable, skin is stretched to the limit (stretch mark city), and my back is killing me. Doc said today that my pelvis is essentially breaking into 4 pieces, so that explains that.

I know there's a lot of curiosity (especially from those of you who aren't here to see it in person) about my size. As you can see, my belly is growing at an astounding rate. I'm already measuring well larger than full term, and there's no end in sight. Matt convinced me to post these pics. Modesty or vanity may have prevented it in the past, but I feel a bit like a mix between a science project and a miracle mommy, so I'm proud to show off my girth. It's pretty incredible...the size of that 28 week belly. I'm actually looking forward to seeing where this goes.


I have about 8lbs 2ounces of baby in me now (which is what Piper weighed at birth), plus the additional sacs and placentas...and I am a slow moving train. I am not at all on bed rest, but I do spend more and more time sitting, and I can't walk for any distance at all. My mom has been a lifesaver, coming over every morning and cleaning, cooking, doing laundry, taking Piper to the park, running errands, etc....I know one thing for sure. Even as a 35 year mommy myself, I still need mine!

THE WEEKS AHEAD
Dr. Berry says we've now entered uncharted territory in terms of how long my body will hold up. Thanks to the "easy" nature of my triplet pregnancy so far (good growth, etc...), he's hopeful that I'll make it to 34 or 35 weeks. That being said, he expects labor to rear its ugly head in the next couple of weeks, at which point we'll start using modern medicine to stave it off.

I'll get steroids at 30 weeks to help prep the babies' lungs just in case, and I'll be seeing the doctors for weekly biophysical profiles. During those, they'll look at each baby's heart tones, movements, etc....It's during these appointments that the decision is often made to head to the hospital. Right now, we have every reason to believe we can keep these guys cooking for several more weeks at least. Every extra day in me saves at least 2 days in the NICU. So carrying them just 2 extra weeks cuts at least a month off of the NICU. They need to just stay put and keep being the little chunky monkeys they are.

BRINGING HOME MULTIPLE PREMIES
Doctors have recently talked to me a lot about keeping these babies healthy once they're here. They'll be born during RSV and flu season, both of which can be fatal to premies. Major risk factors include low birth weight pre-termers (which ours will be), multiples (which they are), and boys (which they are). Here's some good basic info on the issue: http://www.preemiecare.org/rsvfaq.htm.

Among other things, other toddlers and babies (besides Piper, who will be sanitized...which is one of her favorite words right now!....constantly) can't be in close contact with them, anyone who's sick or has someone who's been sick in their house (even just a simple runny nose) in the last 5 days can't come to visit, and all of us will have to get used to tons and tons of constant handwashing for the first several months. They also won't get out of the house for anything other than doc appointments until the seasons have passed, and they're bigger and stronger.

All of this stuff may sound extreme, but it can literally mean life and death for premie multiples, so it's something we already have to be thinking about. The doctor even said that if Piper, Matt, or I come home with a runny nose, we need to go stay with my mom or sister 'til it passes. This would all sound daunting, but as far as we've come, it seems totally manageable. It'll just be an entirely different ballgame for the first several months than it was with Piper, but it's just a phase, and we'll get through it. We probably took Piper out too early anyway. And my sister had a good point...taking a newborn from the living room to the kitchen is like taking them to a whole different world as far as they're concerned. There's plenty here for them to see and learn about!

THE BIG SISTER

I never get good pics of the boys anymore because they're so crowded in there, but I do have some really cute recent pics of the big-sister-to-be. She's just pure joy to us every day. I look at her and tear up imagining that I could have enough love in my heart for 3 more....but I know I do. I know y'all hear this from me all the time, but she is just the sweetest, smartest, and most amazing little person. Add a dose of spunky and strong-willed, and there you have her. I could literally not love her more. All those things my parents gushed about for our whole lives....true. I get it now. I have no doubt she's going to be an incredible big sister, and the love in this house is just going to multiply exponentially.

Here she is enjoying a Cowboys game with Matt. She loves football!


THE NAMES

There's naturally also been a lot of curiosity about the boys' names. We've finally settled on 3 we adore and are ready to go public.

Our boys are....
Knox Alan (Baby A) - Alan was my dad's name

Townes Matthew (Baby B)
- Matt is his dad's name:)

& Finn McConnell (Baby C) - McConnell is Matt's wonderful grandmother's maiden name

So....big babies, big mommy...and more good news from the doctor. All positive thoughts and prayers are welcomed as we finish the first part of this amazing journey to get our boys.

4 comments:

  1. i love your updates! you are so good at explaining this whole process!! all good news, just keep on chuggin' mama!! love the names. love the williams family!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Killer names! Totally unique and full of character without getting wierd! We love following the growth of your family from the super deep south. Lots of positive energy from all of us in Chiapas!

    Tobin, Mariela, Alondra, Nolan, & Amaya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the awesome update! Love the pics and your amazing attitude. Marcus is out of town the next 10 days so I'm around if you need anything -- just call! Love you all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go mommy go!!! You are doing great and those precious boys are growing like crazy. LOVE their names! You guys rock. - Holly

    ReplyDelete